New York Knicks forward RJ Barrett is having quite the summer with Team Canada, and the 2023 FIBA World Cup hasn’t started yet. He’s been praised by head coach Jordi Fernandez, and that trend continued during Canada’s final exhibition games in Spain.
Canada finished exhibition play with a 94-88 loss against the Dominican Republic on Friday, but that doesn’t detract from how Barrett’s looked. Canada defeated Spain for the first time since 2000 in overtime on Thursday, and Barrett shot 6-of-11 for 18 points. Once again, Fernandez gloated about Barrett’s play.
"“So far, he’s made my life so easy,” Team Canada Head Coach Jordi Fernández said of Barrett. “I don’t have to call much for him. Here and there I do give him a play, but he just finds everything within the offence and that’s extremely valuable. I’m very happy with RJ and his performance so far.”"
Barrett and Canada will start their World Cup journey on Friday, Aug. 25, in Indonesia against Evan Fournier and France.
In other Knicks-related news, James Harden backed his stance on Daryl Morey and the Sixers in an interview with KHOU 11. Harden was asked if he thinks his relationship with Philadelphia is beyond repair, and he said, “I think so.” This comes four days after the guard called Morey a “liar” at an Adidas event in China.
From New York’s perspective, Harden’s relationship with Morey and the Sixers crumbling could give the Knicks a shot at landing Joel Embiid in a trade. Right now, it’s not looking as if Philadelphia can make it out of the Harden situation unscathed.
More Knicks news
- Jalen Brunson and Team USA cruised to a 108-86 exhibition win over Greece on Friday. Anthony Edwards scored a team-high 21 points (8-of-16). Brunson scored nine points and added seven assists in 20 minutes. The United States will play one final exhibition game on Aug. 20 against Germany.
- ESPN’s Bobby Marks has the Knicks as his early favorites to make it out of the Eastern Conference in the playoffs.
- The full 82-game schedule was released on Thursday, and these five nationally televised Knicks games are the most important.
- Here’s a look at the full 2023-24 82-game schedule for all 30 NBA teams.
- The Thunder waived guard TyTy Washington Jr. on Friday. The 21-year-old was the No. 29 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft. He spent the 2022-23 season with the Rockets, playing only 31 games.
- Former Rockets head coach Kevin McHale called James Harden out for his lack of accountability amidst the Sixers drama.