Knicks: Patrick Ewing had blood clot after testing positive for COVID-19

Former New York Knicks big man Patrick Ewing had a “rough” battle with the novel coronavirus.

New York Knicks legend Patrick Ewing revealed this week that he had a blood clot after testing positive for COVID-19. He is symptom-free and feeling better now, but the Hall-of-Famer made it clear that he had a difficult battle with the virus that has gripped the country over the past several months.

Appearing on a CNN interview to discuss the passing of his former college coach John Thompson, Ewing said it was “rough” while trying to recover from the virus.

“It was rough,” Ewing said in the interview. “I was in the hospital for five days. Fever. Body ache. I had a blood clot. It not only affects you physically, it also affects you mentally.”

Ewing announced he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus in May to raise awareness that it can impact anyone. He tweeted out a statement, saying “this virus is serious and should not be taken lightly. I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.”

The former Knick, affectionately known as “the Big Fella,” received an outpouring of support from fans, former teammates and friends after his sickness was revealed. Even Charles Oakley, who has repeatedly called out his leadership skills in public interviews, offered words of encouragement.

After learning his diagnosis, the Georgetown head coach tried self-isolating before his conditions worsened and forced him to be treated at the school’s hospital.

“The nurses and doctors at Georgetown Hospital did an outstanding job of making sure I was safe and I was able to come through it,” Ewing said.

Ewing has appeared in several interviews while mourning the loss of Thompson, who coached at Georgetown for 27 years, including the four years when Ewing was a standout college athlete. The program’s greatest success came when the two basketball legends were at the height of their respective careers, Thompson coaching and Ewing playing, in the 1980s.

Thompson passed away at the age of 78 earlier this week.