The New York Knicks dropped a winnable game against the Washington Wizards.
A late 16-2 run in the fourth quarter could not get the New York Knicks over as the Wizards maintained their lead, giving New York yet another devastating, disappointing loss in front of their home crowd.
Again, no perimeter defense and too many personal fouls were the culprits. Plus, the Knicks played a Wizards team that had eight of their players injured. Four G-League players were used to round out the team.
I am grading the efforts of the young players who had a chance to start and play tonight. The development of these players seems to be where the Knicks should put their focus at this time.
RJ BARRETTSG, New York Knicks
RJ Barrett is getting a B for his sheer effort tonight. This rookie is all over the court and is unafraid to travel into the paint. He will also give up the ball to the player with the best shot.
Barrett played 35 minutes, had 18 points on 8-for-15 shooting, four assists, and six rebounds. He was a part of the 16-2 run that desperately tried to win the game.
JULIUS RANDLEPF, New York Knicks
Julius Randle had the high score of 35 points. He also had five rebounds and two assists with three turnovers.
Randle should really have gotten a C for his efforts. Driving into the paint and not passing the ball when you are double teamed is not good for your team. Compared to other power forwards, Jokic (7.3) and Green (6.9), Randle should be averaging more than 3.3 assists per game. He has to pass the ball when he is trampled in the paint.
MITCHELL ROBINSONC, New York Knicks
ELFRID PAYTONPG, New York Knicks
Payton played 30 minutes, had five points, seven rebounds, 12 assists, one block, and one steal.
DAMYEAN DOTSONSG, New York Knicks
Damyean Dotson made a futile attempt in the third quarter to get the Knicks back into the game. In 27 minutes, he scored 19 points including 5-of-10 from outside.
- Kevin Knox II started the game for Marcus Morris, Sr., who was out with a sore Achilles. Knox played 26 minutes, adding eight points and three rebounds.
- Allonzo Trier was on the court again. In 19 minutes he had 11 points and one assist.
- Bobby Portis, off the bench for Robinson this evening, had eight points, four rebounds, and three assists.
- Bradley Beal led the way for the Wizards with 30 points, three assists, and three rebounds. With most of his team out with injuries, Beal did not do a lot of passing the ball tonight.
- Morris, Gibson and Wayne Ellington were out with injuries. Bullock is still not cleared to play.
The New York Knicks will head to the Barclays Center on Dec. 26 to take on the Spencer Dinwiddie and the Brooklyn Nets.