Apr 6, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony (7) walks back to the bench during the second half against the Miami Heat at American Airlines Arena. Miami won 102-91. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

NBA Rumors: Carmelo Anthony reportedly to decide after weekend

New York Knicks fans may only have to wait a few more days until they learn whether or not Carmelo Anthony will be wearing blue and orange for the foreseeable future.

The Melo free agency tour has reportedly come to an end and naturally Anthony has a lot to mull over.

After meeting with the Chicago Bulls on Tuesday, the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday, and the Los Angeles Lakers and Knicks on Thursday, Anthony will reportedly take the weekend to make a decision.

The Knicks did get the final meeting with Anthony and were a bit disappointed that they weren’t able to get Melo to sign immediately.

What we do know is that the Lakers offered Anthony a four-year max deal worth $96 million and are also set to meet with LeBron James in an attempt to lure both superstars. We also know that the Knicks followed that offer with their own five-year max deal worth $129 million, something that Phil Jackson said all along the Knicks would not offer.

However offering Anthony a max deal will accomplish the fact of keeping Melo in town, but could also hamper Jackson’s attempts to build a championship team in New York.

The New York Post’s Marc Berman wrote on that subject:

A league source told The Post a decision should come over the weekend. Jackson has said giving out max contracts puts “limitations’’ on a club trying to build a title winner, but he showed he can’t afford to lose his cornerstone player for whom the Knicks traded the farm during the 2010-11 season.

Jackson flew into L.A. with coach Derek Fisher and general manager Steve Mills to meet with Anthony one last time and Melo came away with the Knicks max offer.

But the Zen Master didn’t get the answer he wanted at that time.

It’s good that Anthony takes his time to weigh his options, but at the end of the day, the decision comes down to the same two things it always has. What is more important to Anthony- money or winning a championship?

It’s good for the Knicks that they have the money because sometime early next week I believe we will be hearing an announcement that Melo is staying in New York.

Next Knicks Game Full schedule »
Wednesday, Oct 2222 Oct7:30Washington WizardsBuy Tickets

Tags: Carmelo Anthony Nba Rumors New York Knicks

comments powered by Disqus